- 1972: Born in Kandy, April 17.
- 1991: Makes it to Sri Lanka A's tour to England.
- 1992: Makes his Test debut against Australia in Colombo.
- 1995: Is no-balled by umpire Darrell Hair for throwing in Melbourne Test against Australia .
- 1996: No-balled in Brisbane Test against Australia by umpire Ross Emerson for throwing.
- 1996: Bowling action cleared by International Cricket Council.
- 1998: Takes nine for 65 against England at The Oval.
- 1999: Joins Lancashire and takes 66 wickets in just six County Championship games.
- 1999: No-balled again for throwing by Emerson in Brisbane Test against Australia; action once again cleared by ICC.
- 2001: Becomes fastest ever bowler to take 350 Test wickets, achieving the feat in 66 matches. 2002: Takes nine for 51 in first innings of second Test against Zimbabwe in Kandy.
- 2004: March Becomes third bowler in history to take 500 Test wickets, during second Test against Australia.
- May -Becomes highest wickettaker in Test history, overtaking Courtney Walsh's 519 victims.
- 2006: March -Takes 600th Test wicket in second Test against Bangladesh in Bogra a week after becoming first man to reach 1,000 in international cricket.
- 2006: June Takes eight for 70 to help Sri Lanka win by 134 runs to level the npower Test series against England at Trent Bridge.
- 2007: March/April Takes 23 wickets at World Cup to help Sri Lanka to final.
- July With last of 26 wickets in three-Test series against Bangladesh, on his home ground at Kandy, becomes second player --after his great spin rival Shane Warne -to reach 700 Test wickets.
- December 3 Back at Kandy again, Murali bowls Paul Collingwood to go above Warne as Test cricket's leading all-time wicket-taker with 709.
- 2008: July Takes 11 for 110 as Sri Lanka win the first Test against India in Colombo in a match which featured a debut of a new spin sensation, Ajantha Mendis.
- 2009: February 5 Takes 503rd one-day international wicket against India, breaking Wasim Akram's record.
- February 21 Takes 770th Test wicket against Pakistan in Karachi.
- July 30 Takes 507th ODI wicket against Pakistan in Dambulla; announces he plans to retire from Test cricket after the November 2010 series against West Indies.
- 2010: July 6 Brings forward date of retirement to end of first Test against India, which begins July 18.
- July 22 Becomes first bowler to take 800 Test wickets.
Friday, July 23, 2010
Muralitharan's Journey to 800